Kingdom Growth - February 2021
"Now these are the gifts Christ gave to the church: the apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors & teachers. Their responsibility is to equip God’s people to do his work & build up the church, the body of Christ."
Ephesians 4:11-12 (NLT)
God's Kingdom is expanding, even in times of crisis!
- For the 24,614 new believers who were discipled by JESUS Film teams last month. Over 8.1 million people have received discipleship follow-up since 1997! Each of these precious people has a name and a story. This month, read about people risking their lives to learn about Christ, a troubled teenager, desperate thief, and suicidal father.
- For the encouraging reports we continue to receive from JESUS Film teams, including these words from Chile team 3: "We bear witness as a Church of how God works in times of crisis. You can see the grace that Jesus gives us in every visit and gospel presentation!"
February 1 - 7
- Zimbabwean teams request prayers for the peace and strength of Christ to touch many hearts and lives after a year filled with economic hardship, drought, cyclone, and pandemic.
- In 2021, teams hope to revive closed churches and empower locals to continue discipleship after they leave a village. Pray they will be encouraged and successful in these goals as they share the gospel.
Team report: Two villagers braved the cold and walked 20 km through the hyena-infested jungle to see the JESUS film. Members of two rival political parties also sat side-by-side during the showing. These people nearly killed each other during the 2008 political upheavals. The villagers have already molded 5,000 bricks for their new church!"
February 8 - 14
- Thirteen JESUS Film teams are serving in El Salvador. They request your prayer for the leaders of each church plant to be used by God, and for each team member's safety as they share the Good News in very dangerous areas.
- Teams are working in towns and villages with great physical and spiritual needs. Pray that God provides resources and open doors for them to share with those in need.
"I am an orphan and live with my grandparents. My brothers are in gangs and imprisoned. I enjoy stealing, which has led to many problems. The day I saw the movie about Jesus impacted me. I realized I need to be different. That day I received Christ as my Savior. With God's help, I will overcome my struggles." -Javier, 14-years-old
February 15 - 21
- Pray for the 23 teams in Cote d'Ivoire as they seek to train many believers in a powerful storytelling method so they can reach more oral learners with the gospel.
- Praise God for the creative ways teams have responded to the pandemic, including making masks, donating food, constructing shelters, and sharing vital virus prevention strategies. Pray that they are encouraged and strengthened for another year of ministry.
- Over 8.7 million people in Cote d'Ivoire have yet to be reached by the gospel. Pray that God will lead teams to these people and create a ripple effect of His redemption.
Konan's testimony: "I have been unemployed since April due to COVID-19. I applied to many companies but received no work. In desperation, I turned to stealing. It was in this dirty business that I planned to attack the JESUS Film team and take their equipment. My plan did not work, and instead, I watched the film. Afterward, I approached a team member to confess. He prayed for me and connected me with the pastor. I am now a member of the church!"
February 22 - 38
- Praise God for helping the 39 teams in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) find goodness amidst a difficult year. One team shared: "God has done wonders -many have accepted Christ and been baptized. We have discovered the value of a soul, and that the crowd is not a condition of salvation."
- This year, teams in the DRC are ministering in many difficult places, including war zones, remote villages and mountainous towns, and areas that frequently flood. Pray they can courageously bring the hope of Christ and reach the lost.
"Today was the day I was planning to kill myself. I am a father of six. It is by divine grace that the team came to my house. They talked about the love of God, which is beyond our needs and expectations. After they shared the Word, I prayed to accept Jesus as my Savior. Then the team prayed for our family. My heart is full of joy. I didn’t know the Lord loves me as a sinner and has a good plan for my life." –Mumbagama, 34-years-old